TRUE LOVE & A REVOLUTIONARY
DOES RELIGION TEACH LOVE?
I am just brainstorming this topic because there are two dear comrades of mine who are looking at the subject of love from different angles.
Check this blog run by one of my comrade:
http://www.solomonsmindfield.blogspot.com/
Tonight she and her friends at Mutiny (jointhemutiny@gmail.com) are having a ball of a time, its valentines celebrations where comrades and friends, political and apolitical, religious and none religious, gay, straight, bisexual, asexual, black, white and any in between get together for a social and political orgy with booze, love, music, poetry and debates. There are still tickets on sale and I certainly do recommend Love on Trial (Love Mutiny).
Another comrade and friend of mine has started blogging on: http://wisehorses.blogspot.com
Its worth checking out, her last blog is on inequality, religion and a revolutionary party. I have just finished chatting to her and commending her on her line of thought. This brought me to the word I hold with passion in my heart - LOVE. What is love? Does our answer lie in love as taught in religion? Does it lie in marriage/sexual intercourse or expensive presents? For me it cannot be because I have a love/hate relationship with religion and its institutions. I have a love hate relation with marriage/sexual intercourse with any Mr Joblog and I hate expensive presents that I don’t need or want. However religion teaches us that we are all children of God, rightfully so because I hate inequalities in our society, so how can I hate it? As for marriage, it never seems to work for me and as for presents/gifts, I would rather someone put their money in good use. On the other hand Marx has a lot to say of religion, but this line captures it all for me, i.e. religion as the opiate of the oppressed. Hence I would love a good old debate on the subject of love. I would have loved to go to Love Mutiny tonight, but as a revolutionary socialist, it happens to coincide with my branch meeting. I certainly will look into the subject of love and blog about it. I am a dreamer and a music lover. Once I dream about something I go for it and I become passionate with what ever I embark on. At the moment I am dreaming of speaking Spanish fluently, so I spend every free time listening to Michel Thomas's Spanish CDs. I hope to be confident in a month or thereabouts. Only then will my mind focus on blogging again.
I listen to a lot of music from different artists and this is one side of love that I love most; as in true love by Joan Armatrading. According to Joan’s true love, her words echo mine as to the T in; ‘I’ve seen it in your eyes, and I have heard it in your voice,’ and this to me renders the celebration of valentines as having completely lost its meaning. Like me she does not see love in a valentine’s card, in a bunch of expensive flowers imported from starving Kenyans, in a box of chocolates from beans picked up by voiceless indigenous people or in an orgy of fornication, but true love as seen in another person’s eyes and in the words; love from within not from without. Those who buy all these presents miss the whole understanding of love, because one can never buy true love that comes from the heart, or in religious terms, one cannot buy the love of God, the Soul! Presents, fornication/marriage and religion are not love, all they give us is a sense of belonging or a momentary satisfaction, here today gone tomorrow. Personally I need something deeper than these momentary joys can offer. I failed to get love from marriage, and please don't say it is because he was not Mr Right, because he is my best friend now.
God bless the SWP for saving me from that part of religion that I hate! Happy love to all lovers of love, I mean those who love the truth, peace and justice, true revolutionaries! The struggle continues – till victory.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home